What we’re doing now
We are currently working on transferring our license to a different foster care agency we feel better aligns with our values and we can trust to provide solid support. If you have any questions you can always reach out to me directly.
Our Foster Care Journey
We initially started the process to become licensed resource parent license in the middle of 2020. After a series of delays, we finally were licensed in San Diego California on July 20th, 2021. We had our first foster care placement mid September 2021 of a five-year-old boy and a one-year-old girl and they returned to live with family members 6 weeks later. For more information, check out our foster care posts.
How you can help us
- Pray that we can use this transitional time to best prepare ourselves and our home for future foster kids
- Pray for wisdom as we adjust to parenthood and make decisions about who we will foster
- Pray for our future and former foster kids and their families as they work through life challenges and transitions
- Help us make our home more kid friendly with items from our registry
- If you live nearby, let us know if you’re able to come over to baby sit or even just play with our future foster kids
- Be patient with us and our children when we deal with hard days or are unable to attend social engagements
How you can help foster kids
- Learn more about foster care and dignifying ways to acknowledge kid’s experiences
- Learn about trauma informed care and how experiences impact kids’ brains
- Get involved with helping foster families through a local organization or church
- Provide support for struggling families to help protect at risk kids through an organization like Safe Families
- Become a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) to support a child through the legal process
- Become a foster parent yourself
Subscribe for updates
To find out when I’ve made new posts you can subscribe by email below (or by RSS).
Learn more about Foster Care
- People to Follow
- Jaymi Matranga (@familyandcoffee) - Social worker, foster parent, and former foster youth
- Cam Lee Small (@therapyredeemed) - Therapist and Korean adoptee
- Laura (@foster.parenting) - “Foster Parent Partner” with lots of videos and resources
- Karly Pancake (@karlypancake) - Foster family we went to college with
- @adoptioneducationkeys - Account featuring birth parents
- Foster the Family Blog
- Child Welfare Information Gateway - Federal information on supporting forster kids
- California Department of Social Services - Information on Foster Care in California
- Safe Families - Support for bio-families to avoid foster care
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) - Foster child advocacy groupp
- Restoration225 - Local foster family support organization
Latest Updates See All
We are changing foster agencies
It has now been more than six months since our last foster placement. At the beginning of the year, we made the difficult decision to switch foster agencies. After how long it took to get licensed the first time, the prospect of another delay was discouraging. But I feel confident...
Wrapping up our first fostering experience
After six weeks together our first foster kiddos were able to return to live with family members while their parent’s case continues to progress. This is great news for the kids as it will allow them to stay connected with their relatives. Throughout this journey, we were relieved to see...