Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole
We started making this recipe as a traditional stuffed pepper, with the filling placed inside the pepper. However, it was difficult to get the peppers cooked enough and the filling didn’t want to stay inside the pepper anyway. So we tried making it as more of a casserole instead which was easier to cook and eat. We’ve also had issues with making too much filling, so I’ve haved the recipe to a more manageable portion.
If you’d like to make this as a more traditional stuffed pepper dish, cut the peppers either in half from top to bottom or with the tops removed. Then roast the peppers in the dish with about 2 cups of water for about 15 minutes before filling to soften. Then pour out the water before filling the peppers with the mixture of the other ingredients
This could also be made in a dutch oven, reducing the need for an additional pan and possibly cooking on the stove. A similar meal we’ve made before is this Stuffed Pepper Soup which is a good slow cooker recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 4 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup of diced onion (about half an onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (1/4 of a 1 ounce packet)
- 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce cans of sweet corn kernels
- 15 ounce can of black beans
- 4 ounce cans of green chilies
- 6 ounces of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 Spanish rice mix
- Avocado (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Start cooking spanish rice per packet instructions
- Saute onion in a large skillet with oil, adding garlic a couple minutes later
- Add the bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the ground beef and sausage with the taco seasoning and brown
- Transfer the meat to a large bowl and mix with diced tomatoes, green chilies, black beans, corn, and cooked Spanish rice
- Pour contents into a 9 by 13 inch glass dish and top with cheese followed by enchilada sauce
- Bake until peppers are fully cooked and all ingredients are hot, about 20 minutes
See how responses are collected...
Respond from another site
Responses are collected from posts on other sites. Have you posted somewhere that links to this page? If so, share the link!
Respond via email
If you'd prefer to message me directly, send an email. If you'd also like your message to be visible on the site I can add it as a comment.
Greek Meatballs and Lemon Butter Orzo
We have really liked this recipe from Half Baked Harvest but wanted some more meat so we’ve adjusted the proportions. Ingredients Note: If using fresh oregano, double the amount. Also, the ingredients list is auto-generated and doesn’t merge ingredients that are used multiple times so read the whole list. Summary...
Comment using Comment Parade
You can also use Comment Parade to create a guest post via Quill.