This recipe is a Hoesterey family favorite. You can see a version of it on the King’s Hawaiian Website since the sweet rolls make the base of this smothered sandwich. We’ve halved the servings, added caramelized onions, and adjusted the seasonings so adjust to your liking. You could also put the onion sauce inside the roll if you want a less messy sandwich.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (+10 minutes sit time if you can spare)
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 12-ish slices of deli honey ham
- 6 slices of swiss cheese OR 6 oz of gruyere
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 large sweet onion sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 package (12 count) KING’S HAWAIIAN Sweet Dinner Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C)
- Caramelize the onions on a pan with oil on the stove top. Adding water as needed to avoid burning. Consider adding some sugar towards the end.
- Slice the entire pad of rolls in half and place the bottom half in a baking dish. If you don’t have a baking dish, use tin foil on a baking sheet and fold up the sides to contain the sauce.
- Spread mayo onto bottom side of the rolls and top with slices of ham and cheese, spreading everything evenly
- In a medium bowl, whisk together poppy seeds, dijon mustard, melted butter, and Worcestershire sauce
- Once onions have finished caramelizing, mix in the mustard & butter mixture
- Replace the top of the rolls and pour the sauce over the rolls so they are evenly covered.
- Cover the rolls with foil and let sit for 10 minutes to allow the sauce to soak in. (optional)
- Bake at 350 °F (175 °C) for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 5 minutes until tops are slightly browned and crisp. Serve warm.
See how to respond...
View more recipes
Greek Meatballs and Lemon Butter Orzo
We have really liked this recipe from Half Baked Harvest but wanted some more meat so we’ve adjusted the proportions. Ingredients Note: If using fresh oregano, double the amount. Also, the ingredients list is auto-generated and doesn’t merge ingredients that are used multiple times so read the whole list. Summary...
Veronica's Spanish Rice
Our friend Veronica taught us her family recipe with us. This flavorful rice is great with tamales! 🫔🍚 Summary Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Servings: 8 Ingredients 1 1/2 cups of rice 1/2 large sweet onion chopped 4 1/2 cups of water (3:1 ratio) 1 1/2 tablespoons...