This recipe is a Hoesterey family favorite. You can see a version of it on the King’s Hawaiian Website since the sweet roles make the base of this smothered sandwich. We’ve halved the servings, added caramelized onions, and adjusted the seasonings so adjust to your liking.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (+10 minutes sit time if you can spare)
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 12-ish slices of deli honey ham
- 6 slices of swiss cheese OR 6 oz of gruyere
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 package (12 count) KING’S HAWAIIAN Sweet Dinner Rolls
- Start by caramelizing the onions on a pan with oil on the stovetop pan, adding water as needed to avoid burning
- Cut the entire pad of rolls in half and place in a baking dish. If you don’t have a baking dish, use tin foil on a baking sheet and fold up the sides to contain the sauce.
- Spread mayo onto bottom side of the rolls and top with slices of ham and cheese, spreading everything evenly
- In a medium bowl, whisk together poppy seeds, dijon mustard, melted butter, and Worcestershire sauce
- Once onions have finished caramelizing (consider adding some sugar towards the end), mix in the mustard & butter mixture
- Replace the top of the rolls and pour the sauce over the rolls so they are evenly covered.
- Cover the rolls with foil and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 350 °F (175 °C) for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Uncover and cook for additional 5 minutes until tops are slightly browned and crisp. Serve warm.
Responses are collected from posts on other sites
Have you posted somewhere that links to this page? If so, share the link!
You can also use Comment Parade to create a response post.
Greek Meatballs and Lemon Butter Orzo
We have really liked this recipe from Half Baked Harvest but wanted some more meat so we’ve adjusted the proportions. Ingredients Note: If using fresh oregano, double the amount. Also, the ingredients list is auto-generated and doesn’t merge ingredients that are used multiple times so read the whole list. Summary...
Veronica's Spanish Rice
Our friend Veronica taught us her family recipe with us. This flavorful rice is great with tamales! 🫔🍚 Summary Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Servings: 8 Ingredients 1 1/2 cups of rice 1/2 large sweet onion chopped 4 1/2 cups of water (3:1 ratio) 1 1/2 tablespoons...