Bekah’s mom made this recipe from barefoot contessa for thanksgiving in 2021. The unique feature is that the mac and cheese sits overnight so the pasta absorbs more of the cheese flavors.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or cavatappi
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups grated Gruyere, divided
- 1 cup grated sharp white Cheddar, such as Cabot, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus extra for the dish
- 1½ cups fine white bread crumbs
- Ground black pepper
- Twenty-four hours before you plan to serve the gratin, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons salt and the macaroni and cook for 4 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium (10-inch) bowl, combine the cream, nutmeg, 1 cup of the Gruyere, ½ cup of the Cheddar, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- When the pasta is done, stir it into the cream mixture, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a full 24 hours. The pasta will absorb the cream and expand.
- When ready to cook, allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for about an hour or if in a hurry, microwave it for 4 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Butter a 2-quart gratin dish, transfer the mixture to the dish and spread it evenly.
- Combine the remaining 1 cup Gruyere and ½ cup Cheddar and sprinkle it evenly on top.
- Combine the bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle evenly on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating halfway through, until golden brown and crusty. Serve hot.
See how responses are collected...
Respond from another site
Responses are collected from posts on other sites. Have you posted somewhere that links to this page? If so, share the link!
Veronica's Spanish Rice
Our friend Veronica taught us her family recipe with us. This flavorful rice is great with tamales! 🫔🍚 Summary Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Servings: 8 Ingredients 1 1/2 cups of rice 1/2 large sweet onion chopped 4 1/2 cups of water (3:1 ratio) 1 1/2 tablespoons...
Hoesterey family recipe from Bekah’s Noonie. You’ll want a good candy thermometer to avoid burning the whole batch. Doubling the recipe is NOT recommended. Summary Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 60 minutes Servings: plenty Ingredients 3 cup sugar 1 1/2 cup white corn syrup 3/4 cup water 3 cup...
- family recipe