A friend shared this recipe with an over the top title, but we’ve made it several times now and we love it. The key is cooking the skin-on chicken on top of vegetables is a delicious combination of flavors. It’s a decent amount of prep to cut the vegetables but it cooks in a single pan making cleaning easier. You can check out the original at The Lazy Genius Collective.
- Prep Time: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
This list is intentionally imprecise, you can adjust the amounts based on your favorite flavors. But the goal is to cover the bottom of the pan loosely with vegetables.
- Skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- Green Beans
- Olive Oil
You can add additional vegetables as you like, however you’ll want to avoid anything to soft that will ooze juice and prevent the other vegetables from becoming crisp (i.e. NOT mushrooms, zucchini, squash, and broccoli).
- Rosemary or thyme
- Lemon or orange zest
- Different kinds of potatoes (e.g. sweet potatoes, red potatoes)
- Different kinds of onions
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner or heavy duty foil
- Cut your vegetables, sizing them into roughly bite size pieces adjusted for cooking speed
- Toss vegetables with olive oil, lots of salt & pepper, and whatever seasonings you’d like
- Peel the skin back from the chicken (leaving part attached) and pad dry with a paper towel
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and (optionally) lemon/orange zest
- Arrange the vegetables on the baking sheet in a single layer
- Place the chicken skin side up on the vegetables
- Bake at 500 degrees for 50 minutes
By the time you’re done, the chicken skin should be crisp and the vegetables should be starting to brown.